Makita XCU02Z 18V X2 LXT Lithium-Ion (36V) Cordless Chain Saw – best electric chainsaw
When most consumers think about the best electric chainsaw in 2017, Makita XCU02Z 18V X2 LXT Lithium-Ion (36V) Cordless ChainSaw usually comes to mind. Makita Corporation has been manufacturing both consumer as well as professional power tools since 1915. They are based in Japan, but also have factories in the U.S., the U.K,. Canada, Mexico, Brazil, China, Germany and Romania with annual sales of about $2.9 billion for 2015. Let’s face it, they’re really big in the power tool market and make great chainsaws that are very popular with consumers for their reliability and power.
Some of the many benefits of Makita XCU02Z electric chainsaw over some comparable gas chainsaws are:
1) A higher level of safety – Letting go of the trigger on the Makita XCU02Z causes it to stop instantly. Some other chainsaws do not stop quite so quickly and that half second of less movement by the chain could mean the difference between a somewhat minor injury and a really serious one.
2) No bad smell-The Makita XCU02Z doesn’t smell like gas chain saws, which is a good thing especially when it’s being transported in a car or truck or being put away in the garage.
3) No loud sound-The Makita XCU02Z is considerably quieter than a gas saw. You won’t wake your family or your neighbors when you start it up.
4) Added power- The Makita XCU02Z supplies all the power needed for most all size jobs while corded and the 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries provide about four hours of cutting time.
5) Quick charging time- The Lithium-Ion batteries only take about 20 minutes for charging. For more battery flexibility, Makita also offers an optional four battery charger.
Features of Makita XCU02Z – One of the Best Electric Chainsaws in 2016
Buyers who have chosen the Makita XCU02Z certainly didn’t choose it because it’s the cheapest chainsaw out there. On the contrary, it’s leaning more toward the higher end of chainsaw pricing but offers numerous features that seem to make it well worth the price in the considered opinions of consumers who have taken it out for a chainsaw test drive.
Those features include:
- Instantaneous start-up with two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries.
- A much lower noise level for user comfort that is greatly improved at just 89 dB(A).
- A sturdy motor built by Makita that delivers improved cutting speed at 1,650 FPM.
- A 12-inch guide bar that delivers increased capacity.
- Soft grip handle that is engineered and rubberized for more evenly applied cutting pressure.
- Chain adjustments that require no tools
- Convenient easy maintenance and worry-free operation.
- Lightweight and easy to handle at only 10.1 pounds
- An electric brake that delivers max productivity.
- Front hand guard that triggers chain brake.
- Reduced maintenance.
- No oil changes, fuel draining for storing, spark plugs or air filter changes necessary.
- Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) that delivers better water and dust resistance.
Pros and Cons
There are numerous pros related to the Makita XCU02Z 18V X2 LXT Lithium-Ion (36V) Cordless Chain Saw and the main one is that it cuts like a gas chain saw, but without the noise, smell, dangerous fumes and starting difficulties. No need to run to the gas station for gas every time a chainsaw is needed either, which is quite definitely a pro.
This chainsaw has plenty of power and could easily cut a five to six-inch log as quickly as a gas chainsaw. It’s the go-to tool of landscapers and is excellent for cleaning up fallen branches. It can actually cut an entire cord of wood better than a gas chainsaw. It’s powerful enough for cutting large limbs, but also light enough for using for higher up limbs. It’s known for being reliable, compact and quiet. In addition, it can cut through walnut, oak or maple with no difficulty.
The only cons seem to be that the charger and batteries are sold separately, so buyers shouldn’t expect them to be included. Also, the batteries discharge albeit slowly, so if they are stored for any period of time, they will require re-charging. Another con is that it can be difficult to be sure that the chain oil is getting to the chain from the oil reservoir.
The pros definitely outweigh the cons on Makita XCU02Z, which is of course why it is the best. It’s easy to use, cost effective since it saves on all the gas and filters. The lack of that awful gas smell both when using, transporting and storing the Makita XCU02Z make it a definite winner. But, that wouldn’t really be enough if it failed to have the power of its gas competitors, but fortunately, it does possess comparable power. Add to that the easy starting and braking capabilities and it seems easy to see why Makita XCU02Z is one of the best electric chainsaws in 2016.